Friday, April 15, 2011

My Go-To Dinner

It seems like I am always scrambling at the last minute to figure out what to make for dinner.  You would think that I would become a little more organized, knowing that I make dinner every night... 

Anyway, here is a meal that is literally done in the time it takes to boil pasta.  This is my version of Pesto with Vegetables.  This is technically a vegan meal, so if you've never tried eating vegan, or even if you have, this couldn't be more simple.

PESTO PASTA with VEGETABLES
1 package pasta 
pesto:
1 1/2 cups organic basil leaves
1 cup raw organic cashews
1 clove organic garlic
a couple pinches sea salt
black pepper
1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil

Start boiling water and cook pasta according to package directions.

In a food processor or blender:  put garlic clove and cashews into the bowl of food processor.  Blend until finely chopped up.  Add basil on top, a couple scant pinches of sea salt and black pepper (optional).  Drizzle olive oil over the top and blend again until completely blended.  Add more oil if consistency is too thick and blend again.

Once pesto is done, and pasta is finishing up, cut up whatever vegetables you happen to have on hand into a medium dice.  I often use zucchini, carrots, onions, peppers.  But I have also put in kale, sweet corn, peas, asparagus, etc.  Seriously, experiment with different veggies, you really can't go wrong.  I want to try adding diced, browned potatoes...
Heat up a skillet and add veggies and a little olive oil.  Saute until lightly golden and slightly soft.  Add to drained pasta back in empty pasta pot.  Stir in pesto and there you have it!  Dinner is served.

Now, if you are feeling ambitious, pair with a green salad and baguette.  But I must admit, when I go for this meal, I am usually tired, and short on time, so I consider this the whole dinner!  I also try to make a little extra of everything so I have a ready made lunch for the next day.  And if there is any extra pesto or vegetables, I add them to scrambled eggs for breakfast, which is SO yummy!!

I must tell you, that all of my measurements are approximate and I never measure anything for this recipe!  Even so, it always turns out great.  This is so easy, it has take me longer to write this blog entry, than it takes to make this entire dinner!
As far as pasta choices, it really doesn't matter, spaghetti, rigatoni, etc.  I have been using organic brown rice fusilli for this recipe which works well.  Wheat free, so it's good for gluten sensitivity, and brown rice is just so good for you.  This is tricky to make, a little different than traditional wheat pasta, but tastes good.  There are many other pastas out there, and I would love to hear comments about different pastas with this recipe.  I usually use raw cashews for the pesto instead of the traditional pine nuts, but I have tried walnuts, too, and that was equally good.  My Mom always adds a little lemon zest to her pesto, which adds a great brightness, but I am too lazy, and I don't have a good zester. Experiment, try different things, and  let me know what worked! 

So, when you are out of time and ideas (as I so often am!) try this very quick, easy and healthy meal, using ingredients you probably already have at home! 
SR

    

No comments:

Post a Comment